Today the USCIS published the new Form I-9 for employers to use. By Jan. 22, 2017, employers must use only the new version, dated 11/14/2016 N. Until then, an employer can continue to use the version dated 03/08/2013 N or the new version.
The changes in the new Form I-9 include the following:
- Section 1 asks for “other last names used” rather than “other names used.”
- The addition of prompts to ensure information is entered correctly.
- The ability to enter multiple preparers and translators.
- A dedicated area for including additional information rather than having to add it in the margins.
- A supplemental page for the preparer/translator.
This new change should key employers to not only update the Form I-9 but also to update their training and immigration compliance practices. Employers with questions about immigration compliance should contact an experienced employment immigration attorney.